Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE)
MBE growth within the National Epitaxy Facility is provided by the University of Sheffield.
There are three MBE growth reactors: two VG V90 machines and one VG V80 machine.
The two V90 MBE tools can grow on multiple 2 inch, single 3 inch and up to 4 inch wafers, with automatic wafer loading. The V80 is a manual system suitable for individual wafer growth with 2 inch wafer capability. We routinely grow arsenides, phosphides, antimonies, dilute nitrides and dilute bismide epitaxial structures.
Structures and devices include:
- GaAs based heterostructures: GaAs, AlGaAs,GalnAs, GalnP
- In based heterostructures: InP, GalnAs, AllnAs, GaAlAsSb
- InAs/GaSb based heterostructures: InAs, GaAlSb, InAsSb
- InGaAs based quantum dots on GaAs and InP
- Dilute nitride: GalnNAs/Bulk, QW and QW lasers
- Quantum cascade lasers QWIP, QDIP structures
- Optoelectronic devices: Lasers, LEDs, photodetectors, APDs, optical modulator, SOA
- Electronic devices: HEMTs, HBT, RTDs
External characterization capabilities include:
- high resolution X-ray diffractometry
- photoluminescence/photoluminescence mapping
- AFM and
- Nomarski optical microscopy.