Metal-Organic Chemical Vapour Deposition (MOCVD)
MOCVD of arsenides, phosphides and atimonides based materials in semiconductors within the Facility is based around our 6 wafer Thomas Swan showerhead reactor and the two wafer horizontal MR350 machines. The Facility can provide the eipitaxy that supports a wide range of device structures for world leading semiconductor physics and engineering research in the UK.
A wide range of III-V epitaxial materials is covered, composed of Ga, Al, In, As, P plus Si n-dopants and Zn and C p-dopants. Both lattice matched and strained combinations are available. The material combinations and the types of structures we grow include: (Al,Ga,In) As, (Al,Ga,In) P, (Al,Ga,In)AsP, (Al,Ga,In)Sb, (Al,Ga,In)AsSb, (AlGaIn)N. Group IV structures include Si, SiGe, SiGeSn. Dopants: Sb, P, B.
Structures and devices include:
- edge and emitting and vertical cavity structures
- disk VECSEL lasers
- epitaxial overgrowth structures
- quantum dot and quantum well devices
- quantum cascade lasers (a world first grown by MOCVD).
External characterisation capabilities include:
- high resolution X-ray diffractometry
- photoluminescence/photoluminescence mapping
- AFM and
- Nomarski optical microscopy.